The best strategic leaders anticipate where their business is headed and see changes before others do. Far from being magicians, instead they shine at outside-in thinking that sharpens their ability to anticipate well. They know their customers extremely well, foresee emerging trends, and understand changing dynamics. The headwinds public sector agencies are daunting indeed, yet increasingly leaders are participating in strategic thinking processes that lead to strategic planning. More than a project, strategic planning serves as a catalyst to marshal precious resources towards desired goals.
Our view is that strategic planning must be seen as both a product and a process. As a process, it can be a thought-provoking, introspective, and comprehensive register of the key issues confronting your community and organization, as well as a perspective on the resolution of the issues. Moreover, consistent with the “painting the bridge” analogy strategic planning is a never-ending process.
In brief, our approach entails us partnering with members of your governing body, agency staff and frequently a Project Task Force using a range of proven methods and guiding them through a process during which:
- Policy-makers participate in collegial discussions about the future of your community;
- Headwinds or trends are identified;
- Civic engagement is utilized via social media and community conversations;
- The mission statement is reaffirmed;
- The vision of the future is refreshed;
- Goals and Objectives designed to move toward the vision are established for the next cycle;
- Action plans that emphasize results, are adopted to accomplish the goals and objectives; and
- A shared understanding is created between the governing body and the City/County Manager enabling clarity and cohesion about priorities and time commitments.
The outcome is a strategic plan consisting of an agreed upon set of priorities which guides decision-making for the pursuit of your vision. Click here to read more about our Strategic Planning services and the success stories we’ve helped create with several of our clients.